Friday, October 19, 2007

I've heard rumblings from readers that were worried that I didn't write anything on Monday and that I just posted pictures. Never fear. I haven't stopped writing - I was simply in too bad of a mood to write on Monday. I was so grumpy that I annoyed myself. And so instead of writing about how the boys woke up Monday morning at 5:15am (grouchy, I might add) and were asleep for a morning nap before Mia even arrived at 8am, or how the boys refused to eat this weekend at California Tortilla (and thus threw the chicken, cheese, tortillas, and chips we offered all over the floor and then tried to get out of their highchair) while the manager walked by and said he felt sorry for us (hell, I felt sorry for us...), or how Grayson had reverted back to his 3am wake up calls, I just posted some pictures and called it a day. :)

But this week has been much better. They've slept better (for the most part), been really playful, ate decently, and have been loads of fun. Grayson had his follow-up evaluation for Early Intervention for his speech on Wednesday. He's made a lot of progress with his receptive speech (understanding what we are saying), although the Speech pathologist kept saying things like,

"If you ask him to get his juice will he go get it?" Uh...they don't get juice.
"If you ask him to get shoes from his room, will he go get them?" Uh...his shoes are always put away in the closest unless they are on his feet.
"Will he point to...say, Elmo if asked?" Uh...he has no idea who Elmo is.

It was pretty funny. But he will point to his head,ears,hair, nose, mouth, teeth, belly, and toes. He will hand you his cup if asked. He will jump, stomp, clap, and sit. (Gosh, sounds like a dog...) But his expressive skills (talking) are still a bit behind (at about a 12 month level) - although Tuesday Mia called and said that when they were walking upstairs for nap time, Gray saw Abbey at the top of the stairs and said, "Hi, dog!" just as clear as day. Of course, he hasn't done it since - although he does say "HI!" regularly. In the end, Grayson does qualify for speech therapy. He's right on the cusp of qualifying, but we decided that it won't hurt him - and will only help him, it is free (tax dollars at work!), and they will come to the house. Plus, I think that he (and we) will be happier when he is able to articulate what it is he wants rather than trying to make us guess. :) We're still waiting on a call on when they can start services.

Carter is still babbling up a storm. He has quite a few words (dog, fish, whatever he calls Grayson (it sounds the same every time - but it doesn't sound like 'Grayson'!), book, brush, ball, and button (that all sound like "baaa"), this (when pointing to things), and shoes.

Other than that, it has been a pretty status quo week. We've been pretty social! Tuesday we had a play date with Suzanne and her 11 month old son Rhyder. It was the first time that the three boys really played together. Soooo cute! And Wednesday Hutch came over for dinner (we love having him working in Annapolis and getting to see him so often!)

This weekend, we are going to have breakfast with a friend of Leanne's from her past life working in housing, a visit to a pumpkin patch (despite me grumbling that it is STILL going to be nearly 80 this weekend - so no cute pictures in jeans and sweaters), a BBQ at a friend's house (which translates to us chasing the boys around the playground in the neighborhood), and hopefully a little R&R.

I'll report back on Monday and let you know how it goes.

No comments: