Friday, November 10, 2006

Well, we just got back from the pediatrician. I took them (solo) to get their 3rd dose of RotaTeq (a vaccine that prevents the kids from getting Rota Virus.) In case you haven't heard (or experienced) this dreadful phenomenon it is a virus that renders it victims to days of dreadful...poops. Awful. Nasty. Stinky. Volumous. And therefore the poor caretakers (aka parents) of said victims must change countless diapers, wash loads upon load of clothes, and do their best to keep the house aired out - all while trying not to get it themselves. In addition, many babies get hospitalized for it due to dehydration. Soooo...when I heard at work that there was a new vaccine for it, I jumped at the chance to get it. The thought of having 2 babies with rotavirus just makes my stomach drop. Plus, we all know that Leanne gets any virus that comes her way and so off for our 3rd and last dose we went.

We had a 11am appointment (and much to my credit we were there on time - it only took me 3 hours to get them out the door this morning!) As soon as we wheeled in, Grayson started pitching a fit. Not because he was scared of where we were, but because he didn't want to be in his stroller any longer. Okay, out you come Mr. Grayson. We got put back in a room pretty quickly and the nurse told me to strip the boys to get their weight. I must have looked a bit shell shocked - but really, does she know how long it takes to get 2 squirmy babies dressed from head to toe??? In any case, they got weighed. Grayson is a whopping 15lbs 3oz and Carter 19lbs 6oz. WOW. I wrestled them back into their clothes and was told the doctor would be in to see us. 10 minutes go by and both boys are having simultaneous meltdowns. Full on meltdowns. Tears, kicking, wailing. I am holding Gray and pushing the stroller with my foot trying to rock Carter to sleep (silly mommy left the diaper bag in the van thinking that this would be a short stop. So, no bottles or pacifies. Oops.) After finding the magic motion to get Gray asleep (on my left shoulder with gentle sway, a subtle bounce, and a firm pat) he conks out. Carter finiallly sucumbs to the sway of the stroller and I have to boys who are happily asleep. YAY.

As I sit there swaying, bouncing, and patting, I am wondering what is taking so long. But on the other hand, they JUST fell asleep and anyone who's been around kids, knows that 5 minutes of sleep can be a nightmare. So, I continue swaying, bouncing, and rocking for what seemed like forever. Finally after shifting Gray and waking him, I open the exam room door to see what is going on and why we are still sitting in a 6x6 exam room. Come to find out we've been sitting in there for 70 minutes and we weren't even supposed to in an exam room at all. We didn't even need to see the doctor! The nurses quickly get the vaccine, oogle at cute the boys are, and off we go. Ninety minutes after we arrived.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rota Virus doesn't sound like a huge departure from what you're already doing. Don't you currently do loads upon loads for laundry and changes dozens of diapers a day? Not that it was a waste of a trip, but I don't think you'd notice a significant change in lifestyle.

These boys are huge!