Monday, November 26, 2007

Saturday we decided to take on a new challenge. Child care. Yes, we know that we leave them every day in childcare. But this time we were going to try the child care center in our gym. A new place. New people. No moms. No Mia.

The plan was for Leanne to go do a short workout while I hung out in the café and read a magazine (no comments, please. We all do what makes up happy. And sitting my butt on a comfy leather couch for 20 minutes reading a magazine - during daytime hours – without the screaming of a small child – made me intensely happy.) And then Leanne and I were going to *gasp* eat lunch alone in the café. No high chairs. No bibs. No sippy cups. No cleaning up the floor when we are done eating. Bliss.

So, we dropped the kids off in the play area. There were a few other kids (but not too many), lots of toys (some familiar, some new), and a nice woman overseeing the area. The boys took off. They barely looked back as we exited (so why did I feel like I was leaving them to the wolves when I walked out???) When I went to peek in on them (through the window – so they couldn’t see me) after 10 minutes I could see Gray marching around carrying a building block and looking like he owned the place (I couldn’t see Carter because of the high walls…) And so we ate in peace. And it was bliss. And after they’d been there for 1 hour, we went back to retrieve our children. Yet this time instead of seeing Grayson walking around like King of the Gym, we found him sobbing hysterically in the supervisors arms. As soon as he saw us, he FLUNG himself at us.

Apparently, Carter started to cry, but stopped when the supervisor picked him up. But when Gray realized Carter was crying, he started in too. And when Gray cries he has 4 people who can calm him down – in this order - 1) Leanne 2) Mia 3) Alison 4) Traci. If you aren’t any of those people, you best be finding one of them. Pronto.

But in the end, he was fine. He did cut us dirty looks for about 2 hours, but they were no worse the wear and yes, we’ll try again. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll go do something productive while I am at the gym.

But that leather sofa sure is comfortable…..

No comments: