Sunday, April 22, 2007

That was then. This is now.

Then:
10am on a Saturday morning. I have been out of bed for an hour. Managed to brush my teeth, eat a bite or two of ice cream out of the container, and plop myself on the couch to watch pointless tv.

Now:
10am on a Saturday. I have been up for 4 hours. I have not only brushed my teeth, but showered, dried my hair, and put on make-up. I have eaten a respectable breakfast of cereal or waffles. I have changed no less than 4 diapers and fixed at least 1 set of bottles. I have played with the boys, fed them breakfast, and put them down for a nap. I have cleaned 2 bathrooms and the kitchen and am hoping that they continue napping so at least I can sit on the couch for at least 30 minutes to watch some pointless tv.

Then:
9:30 on a Saturday night. Maybe we met friends downtown for dinner and are on our way home. Or went to dinner and a movie. Or went to an event at the home of someone in our Parnters group and are still chatting and laughing and enjoying a glass of wine. We are filled with good food, good conversation, and happy to be able to sleep in a bit in the morning.

Now:
9:30 on a Saturday night. We fed the boys dinner at 6, got them bathed and in bed by 7:30. It is 8 and we are hungry. We are exhausted and can't figure out what to eat. We eat cereal while sitting on the couch watching tv shows that were taped 2 weeks ago. At 9 we ascend to the bedroom where we watch more tv shows that have been taped 2 weeks ago, but realize we are too tired to even pay attention to them. By 9:30, the lights are off and we are snoozing. We know that we'll be up by 6:30.

Then:
A trip to the mall. We look for clothes for work. A new pair of sneakers for the weekend. A pair of jeans. We roam around looking at things together until we get tired of the crowds and leave.

Now.
A trip to the mall. We look for little boy clothes. Play clothes. Clothes to go out in. New shoes for new walkers. Overalls in every color. We hunt for bathrooms to change diapers. We separate because we can't fit our stroller through the narrow aisles in the stores. We separate so Leanne can go push the boys around, as walking quiets their protesting. We stop to buy overpriced milk at Starbucks thinking that will dull their protesting. It doesn't. We leave.

We wouldn't change any of it.
....well, okay I wouldn't mind sleeping in a bit on the weekend! :)

No comments: