Friday, July 25, 2008

Well, this week was MUCH better than last. Grayson was fine. He didn’t get a shiner and didn’t seem any worse for the wear. We are thankful and lucky.

Our biggest challenge around here has been the weather. Twice this week (Sunday and Wednesday) HUGE thunderstorms have rolled in just after bedtime. Both nights, we got the kids down relatively early (7:45) and easily (they were exhausted.) And BOTH nights the rumblings started at 8:30 and by 8:45 the heavens had opened, the thunder was crashing, and the lightening was lighting up the house. The kids HATE thunderstorms. On Wednesday night, I got them down (Leanne was out to dinner with a friend) and was so proud that I got them down easily and quickly and had managed to do all the major evening chores (trash/recycling out, liter changed, kitchen cleaned, morning milk cups prepared) by 8:30. I was just about to fix some dinner when I heard it off in the distance. My stomach dropped and I started to gobble down my tuna ‘cause I knew what was coming next. Thankfully, Leanne had just gotten home because at 8:45 they were both standing up in their beds screaming and crying. We went in and while Leanne laid on the floor next to Gray and held his hand (while he hid under his blanket), I leaned over Carter’s crib and held him while he buried his face in my chest (it was a wonder he could breathe!) After a few minutes we realized that this wasn’t a short storm and we all headed to our bed where we could be more comfortable. Carter laid perfectly still beside me with his hands over his eyes and Grayson snuggled next to Leanne - completely covered by his blanket – saying, “all done.” Once it was over, I tried to get Carter back to his bed (since he was clearly not comfortable) but he wouldn’t go for it. They are both mildly ill. I keep thinking the big whammy is coming since Carter hasn’t slept well since Sunday night (and when Carter is even thinking about being sick, he doesn’t sleep well) but so far there has just been a bit of coughing here and there, an occasional runny nose, and a teeny bit of congestion in the mornings. Don’t get me wrong – I am not looking for anyone to get sick – but I would like this low grade thing to either come or go. None of us have slept well this week – in fact 2 mornings we’ve been up (for the day) with Carter before 5:30am. That makes for a very long day (well, for us – the little bugger napped for 3 hours that day!)

Pictures to come. I need to remember to get the camera out of the diaper bag!

No comments: