Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tales from the trenches:

Tuesday night was Leanne's night off (we're now trying to take one night off each week - rather than once every other week) so we can catch up with friends, run errands that we can't do with the kids (clothes/shoe shopping with them? Forgetaboutit.), or just do something we want to do. Anyway.... I was doing bath time solo and all was going well. I put the kids in the bath and was told by Gray that it was too hot (he actually said, "hot" and signed it. Have I mentioned that his verbal abilities have surpassed Carter's at this point and now we are looking at getting Carter into speech therapy?) And sure enough the water was warmer than I'd planned (or they like it) so I took 2 naked boys out of the tub and stood them in the bathroom. While I filled the tub with cold water to cool it off, I turned around to find Carter tinkling all over the bathroom floor. I tried to stop him, so I could put him on the toilet, but I wasn't fast enough and he'd finished. *sigh* So I dunk him into the tub so I can 1) get him cleaned off and 2) get the kids out of the way so I can clean it up. But no sooner do I get Carter in the tub and turn around to get Grayson that I see him slip and fall in the wet puddle on the linoleum. Now I have 2 urine soaked kids. To say they got a good scrub down would be an understatement. :)

Both boys have gotten colds this week. It started with a runny nose and has just gotten worse. Last night Carter woke at 11:30 and was hysterical. He didn't want water, he didn't want to lay down in his bed, he just wanted to be held and cuddled. And every time he cried he had this nasty croupy sounding cough. So he and I holed up in the guest bath with a hot hot hot steamy shower running to try to clear his airways. After I was sufficiently hot and he was asleep, I tried to commit a mortal sin. Putting him back in his bed. Heck, no. He just cried and gasped and coughed. So we headed to the guest room where I could prop him up on me. He slept fitfully from 12:30-2:30 while I listened to him breathing and trying to decide if we needed to take him to the ER (he'd wheeze for a bit, then be fine, then wheeze, then be fine.) He finally fell asleep next to me from 2:30-3:30, but awakened at 3:30 crying and signing water (those signs are coming in darn handy!) I brought him back to his room, gave him water, and tried once again to put him to bed. This time he was fine with it. He put his head on his pillow, I pulled his blanket up, and he fell asleep immediately. I went back to my bed and fell back asleep by 3:45. And Grayson awoke for the day at 5:50. To say I was grumpy is an understatement. But when Carter woke at 6:35, he seemed much better. No cough, just a runny nose that he thinks is funny when he blows it. :)

Here are a few more pictures from Gymboree.

This is so you can see what it is like there. You can't see most of the climbing apparatuses, but you get the idea!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: