Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I have started this blog post 3 times in the past couple of weeks. Every time, something has happened (the internet unexpectedly closed down, there was a power surge at the hospital and the computer re-booted, and I accidentally deleted the file.) So I am hoping the fourth time is a charm!

During the day I think of all kinds of things that I should blog – and yet when I sit down to write, I can’t remember any of them. I’ve thought about keeping one of those digital recorders on me so I can leave my message a message about topics that I need to blog about, but ultimately decided I can’t be in charge of one more thing. So, we are all left with me and my terrible memory.

Living with a couple of toddlers is definitely different than living with a couple of babies (or even pre-toddlers that matter.) Opinions are frequent, whining that is going my ears bleed occurs daily, tantrums are common (whether they are the full on – throw yourself on the floor variety or the toy/food/paper throwing variety), and time-outs or having to go talk off in the corner is nothing new. But on the other hand, we are getting lot of spontaneous hugs (also known as “huggies” by Carter), an “I WUV you too!” reply to our nightly “I love you!”, and lots and lots of belly laughs (from all 4 of us.) It is a wonderful roller coaster ride!

This weekend was a busy one. Saturday morning we buzzed around the house for a bit before heading to our gym. The kids went into childcare with nary a peep (YEA!) I hadn’t been upstairs sitting on my stationary bicycle for 5 minutes when I hear, “Alison please return to the childcare center.” I was a bit surprised since they seemed okay when I left, but it turned out to just be a dirty diaper. I got Carter changed and was just about to walk out the door and go back upstairs when I heard, “Is this one yours too?” Yup. That twin thing at work again. I did end up riding the bike for about 30 minutes – and by the end my legs felt like Jello. But I did get to watch CNN, which was nice since so much of the time I feel like I have no idea what is happening in the world.

Afterwards I took them to Gymboree while Leanne went to get her toes done. The class was pretty uneventful – which is nice when you are trying to watch 2 kids going in separate directions – amid 13 other kids and about 20 adults! Carter fell asleep on the way home and in true Carter fashion transferred to his bed without opening an eye. I got Gray into his bed, read him a couple of books, and said good night. I don’t know why I looked in 10 minutes later because there was no noise and I almost never check in on them once it is quiet (for nap – at night I check in on them and re-cover them before I go to sleep.) But I did. And I found Grayson in Carter’s crib, lying next to him saying, “Hi? Hello? Hi?” Thankfully, Carter didn’t wake and I got Gray out, took him to the guest room and laid down with him for 10 minutes. Then he was out.

After their naps, we went to DC with Mia to celebrate her being with us for 2 years. We opted for the Metro since 1) the boys love it and 2) it can be difficult to find parking – much less for a mini van. We went to Raku (where we went a few weeks ago) and this time it wasn’t as easy. Both kids were awake and not happy eating or sitting. They tried to bounce from one lap to another while eating sticky rice. Not a great combination. Afterwards, we walked to the circle, let the kids run around, put their hands in the fountain, listen to some guys playing the guitar, and then went to Krispy Kreme for dessert. By the time we got home, we were all exhausted.

Sunday brought house cleaning and errands. We’d planned on going to a new church for the first time, but decided that since we can’t go next weekend, we’d wait till we were able to go a few weeks in a row (so the kids can get use to the nursery/Sunday school.) Once again Carter fell asleep en route home and transferred into his bed with no problems. I did the usual routine with Gray and like the day before I checked in on him to make sure he hadn’t gotten in bed with
Carter to wake him. I found this.

He was still awake, but totally still, and quiet. I took the picture and decided to leave him. I thought that they would just curl up together and go he’d go to sleep. Ha. Ten minutes later Carter was up (and confused why Gray was in bed with him!) I tried getting Carter to sleep and taking Gray to the guest bed again – to no avail. So we ended up with one kid who slept 30 minutes and another who never closed his eyes all day. We knew we’d be in for it. And being the crazy people we are, we opted to finish our errands. Of course the errands were filled with whining, but we managed and were thrilled when Jurgen and Jen came over to play with the munchkins. They ran around with wild abandon, until they left and then we plopped them in front of Signing Times. They went to bed an hour early and slept till 7am the next morning. And while the extra 30 minutes of sleep was wonderful in the morning, it wasn’t worth a day of whining!

Here are some pictures from the weekend.

In going through last years winter clothes to determine what fit and what didn't, we ran across these. Of course the kids HAD to put on their "snowman sweaters." They were so excited. Thankfully, they didn't protest too much when they had to take them off to go outside - in 90 degree heat.

Gray putting his hands in the Dupont Circle fountain

Carter splashing away!

No comments: